Sunday, November 26, 2006

DUI Billboard

I just submitted the following recommendation to both the Ad Council and the to National Highway Transportation Safety Administration throuth their respective website "Contact Us" functions.

It's something that I've thought about for quite a while; and I finally just looked up the relevant web sites and submitted to both.

I'm curious to see whether they'll be adopted.

And, if not, I thought I'd go ahead and post here.

I have a recommendation for a Roadside Billboard. My idea is that they would be best placed within 12 miles or so on major highways of major cities. For instance I live in Cincinnati. Both I-71 and I-75 go north out of and south into Cincinnati; and south out of and north into northern KY.

The billboard woud be simply stated - easy to read and interpret.

As follows:

IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A CAB

YOU CAN'T AFFORD DUI

I believe very much that this would cause some to consider the option of 20 dollars or even more for a cab, as opposed to the several thousand including time loss from work, higher insurance, etc... of a DUI.

Also, this would give the idea to friends and spouses to recommend to their friends to just take a cab.

I respectfully request your consideration.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a well thought out and excellent idea. The decision to drink and drive should be eliminated to drink and choose to not drive.

A billboard would be a constant reminder to people to think of an alternative before they find themselves in a situation that could ruin their lives or the lives of others.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hey Libby,

Nice to see you on line. Thanks for the comment.

It's actually something that I'd thought about for quite a while on and off. I actually think that if it were done right that a billboard of that type would stir some thinking among enough folks and would generate conversations on the subject. Just simply to have folks consider that if they go out some night, and before they know it they've over-done it to some extent. Well, some will say that a cab costs too much, and/or, they can't afford to leave their car overnight, and then they'd have to come back the next day and get it. Well, all of that is easy stuff, compared to a DUI. So, the simple thought, "If you can't afford a cab; you can't afford DUI" should come to mind, and if nothing else, some friends could help in recommending such.

Talk to you later,

Dave

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Tweet